TBILISI BIENNALE OF STAGE DESIGN 2020
Valerian Gunia Union of Young Theatre Artists – OISTAT National Center of Georgia (Georgia, Tbilisi) announces an open call for curatorial proposals to participate in the Tbilisi International Biennale of Stage Design. It is scheduled to take place on October 18-28, 2020 at the Tbilisi History Museum (Caravanserai).
The Biennale aims to build conditions for professional development of young stage designers and launch of an intercultural dialogue. This unique platform, which is created for young scenographers will enable them to present themselves and their projects, review and assess the ongoing process taking place in this specific field of art, share their creative ideas, participate in professional discussions, plan and develop joint projects.
Biennale will unite the following activities:
1. International exhibition of national and students’ expositions;
2. Educational program MasterLab (lectures, master classes);
3. Open forum – round table, discussion of the participating works, creative discussions, mini presentations.
In the frames of the Biennale the guests and participants will have an opportunity to get familiar with the highlights of Tbilisi including the theatre buildings of the city.
The organizer of the Tbilisi International Biennale of Stage Design is the Valerian Gunia Union of Young Theatre Artists – OISTAT National Center of Georgia.
The Valerian Gunia Union of Young Theatre Artists – OISTAT National Center of Georgia will hold the 3rd Tbilisi International Biennale of Stage Design on October 18-28, 2020.
All participating countries are responsible for settling down organizational, artistic and financial issues related to presentation of their pavilions. Country exhibitions will be organized by the national curators who will be in charge of selecting the participating artists.
In 2020 the Biennale will focus on two separate sections of international exhibitions: professional and student’ shows.
Qualifying criteria for participation:
• Working experience: at least 3 years of working experience in the fields of theater, cinema, television or other shows as well as multimedia scenography including computer games.
• The applicants selected by the national curators from the respective countries will be eligible to participate in the Tbilisi Biennale of Stage Design. National curators will be in charge of administration and organizing of expositions of their countries.
Qualifying criteria for works:
• The presented projects should have been realized and/or have had premieres in 2018-2020;
• Possible forms of submission: scene or costume sketches, photos of performances, shows, video footages, animations, installations, video art or multimedia scenography including computer game designs as well as costumes, dummies, puppets etc.;
• The foreign participants are advised to present at the Biennale the original sketches. In case it is complicated to obtain special permits for export of the works, high quality prints will also be accepted.
• Representatives of guest countries will be selected by national curators of the pavilions of the respective countries;
• Georgian participants and their works will be selected by the Georgian Curatorial Committee.
- Professional section: 25 square meters of space in the main hall of the Museum (sliding exhibition boxes);
- Students’ section: 20 square meters of space in the side hall of the Museum;
- Participation in and attendance of lectures and master classes of international experts are free of charge for all participants of the Biennale.
– Duration of exhibition: two full working days. One working day will be allocated to its dismantling. – All specific technical and/or otherwise requests and details must be agreed with the Georgian team of organizers and the representatives of the exhibition space prior to the start of the Biennale.
– Travel and exposition expenses should be covered by the participants themselves.
Application package should include the following documents:
• Application form
• Photo (portrait)
• Copies of works: at least 8 units of high resolution copies with indication of the relevant cataloging data (name, author, director, location and date of the premiere, size and material of the works). Digital versions of the works should be sent to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
Application Form for Tbilisi Biennale of Stage Design 2020
Deadline for submitting of applications: February 25, 2020